Live "Inside Out," Not "Outside In."
|"Lighthouse" by Bryan Hudson|
Jesus showed great compassion on people in trouble and people needing deliverance from sin, like the woman who was accused of committing adultery (John 8:1-11). On the other hand, Jesus was very hard on religious leaders who pretended to know God and represented themselves as holier than everyone else.
On several occasions in this text, Jesus points out how the outward appearance and behavior of the religious leaders betrayed their true inner motivations.
- You pay tithes > BUT > neglect more important actions
- Find fault in small things (“Strain out gnats”) > BUT > Fail on great matters (“Swallow a camel”)
- Clean the outside for people to see > BUT > allow filth such as extortion and self-indulgence
- Whitewash dead things > BUT > still full of deadness
- Outwardly appear righteous > BUT > full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
1 John 4:4, You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.